28.10.08

I just realized......

...that the photos in the slideshow in the upper right-hand corner are not my photos at all. 

I have no idea who those folks are.

But they look like they're having a fun time :) for that, I'll let them stay. 

You can check out all my photos (consolidated!) here

So, this week is the week of French students' vacation. All students, everywhere in France, are on vacation.....except who? That's right. The foreigners. 

It did make for a really easy commute to school this morning since there was no traffic. However, it was raining torrentially (but it was 85˚ on Sunday!!!!), so that made the going a little more treacherous. Once I tried biking with an umbrella in the middle of the night on an empty road (it's safer that way!) but I failed miserably and ran my slow-moving bike into a signpost. I even tried tucking it into the back of my shirt and tying the silver post around my neck with my scarf. No luck. Instead, I use my hood. When I turn my head, the hood doesn't turn, so every time I check for oncoming traffic I get a face full o' hood. I take off the hood. My hair gets wet. My eyebrows retain rain and leak into my eyes. My glasses get moist on the front and foggy on the inside. Water drips down the slope of my nose and slides into my mouth. I get to class and I bring a little puddle with me. Then, about 2 hours later, when my hair begins to dry, I go back out in the rain. It's a vicious cycle of moistness, unjustly cold hands, and the permanent presence of a cold. Oh, Pau.

I got a new host family :) It's the family who wanted to host a student but couldn't because they were too busy in September. I now live really close to my best friend, who's slightly inaccessible thanks to her new French lover, but it's still nice to not live on the other side of the world from the people I like to spend time with. I'm going to meet the mum on Thursday, she's moving me out Friday, and I never have to see these ingrates again :) 

Today after class I went grocery  shopping with some girlfriends so we could buy ingredients for our Hella-Awesome Home-Cooked French meal tonight. We bought magret de canard (duck breast) which I'm gonna grill with fresh-ground pepper and cognac. We're also having a green salad, baguette slices with toasted goat cheese and honey, a cheese soufflé, and belle Hélènes (crèpes with warm pears, vanilla ice cream, and chocolate sauce). It's going to be fantastic :) We've also got two bottles of wine, ten American movies, and a closet full of French board games that we don't even begin to understand the concepts of. I'm so excited :) It's a kind of celebratory meal for my last days living all by my lonesome, as well as a kind of "let's have a vacation of our own" because my first class tomorrow is cancelled so I don't have to wake up until 1 pm :) I'll be sure to include pictures!

In fact I have to leave to pick up my friends at the bus stop. More later, friends :) 

No comments: