6.12.08

"That Girl is Taking Yet Another Picture of You"

Let's all just bask in the glow of how long it's been since I last posted. I know, you say, I'm busy, I'm winding down one of the best semesters of my life (second only, I believe, to Harlaxton), I'm taking exams, packing, traveling....I should spend my time enjoying these last 13 days (ack!) and wait for the blog. 

In all this, you would be correct. Except the whole "waiting on the blog" thing. That just won't fly.

The weekend after the last post I made I spent in a mountain chalet with 17 French teenagers. We cooked a pig and watched Walker, Texas Ranger in French. It was a grand time. Photos are both ensuing and incriminating. 

This past Wednesday my BFFF and I redeemed our 10th-is-free Free Kebabs from our fidelity cards at the revered Pacha Kebab eatery. I've never tasted a better kebab (but I've tasted 9 that were equally good). Afterwards we drank a couple demi-pĂȘches, then decided to spend an Epic Night Outdoors by visiting several bars with a gaggle of British students. We played darts, walked down some stairs (at the time it seemed a much more noteworthy action), and veritably belted out the theme song to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Represent, dear readers. Word. 

Today I went snowboarding in the Pyrenees mountains for the first time!!! I can honestly say that it was one of the best snowboarding trips I've ever been on. We left the university at the ass-crack of dawn, which allowed for an incredible sunrise-over-the-mountains view as we wound past tiny towns and other ski stations. We finally stopped at Cauterets, one of the most famous (and most popular) ski stations in the French Pyrenees. It was absolutely breathtaking. When I upload photos I'll let you know (I know! It's cruel to string it out like that, but how else am I going to get people to read this blog?!)

Several strange things happened. A Chinese girl got carsick 9 times. I only fell one time and did not fracture my tailbone. At the end of the day, I was completely dry (unlike most ski trips where I alone could create a small reservoir with the water collecting in my ears, pants hems, and cleavage). A French girl thought I was French, developed a crush on me, then discovered I was American and spent the rest of the day taking candid pictures of me. I found the house I want to live in. Unfortunately it's in Lourdes, the fanatically religious town devoted to the "apparitions" of the virgin that appears 150 years ago. Okaaaaayyyyy. 

However, despite the strange happenings (am I not used to it by now?), the weather was perfect. It started sunny while the sun was still behind mountains, gave us ample picture-taking time, then the sun disappeared behind white clouds so it wouldn't blind us. It was only 3˚C  outside, and towards lunchtime it actually started snowing! 

Tonight is the night I was supposed to go to the Gala with Tall Man. Unfortunately, it was my friend who told me about it and not him, so I already knew about it when he told me he wasn't inviting me and, instead, was inviting his two guy friends he hasn't seen in years thanks to them having been studying abroad or doing internships elsewhere. I wasn't too crushed--I would rather go snowboarding than wear a fancy dress :) Although the ticket price included a bottle of champagne, so who knows, perhaps I really am missing out. 

I'm starting to get really excited about coming home. I miss English music and rhubarb crisp, fireplaces and hot cider (it's nowhere!), free nights and weekends (I am a teenage-ish girl, allow me this one vice), my car, the Simpsons, eggnog, my bedroom, the puppies....oh, and my entire family :) My parents are in Costa Rica right now with my sister and I am hella jealous. There are 2 excuses for my saying "hella": 1. It is the only word that can describe my jealousy, and 2. My California friend is rubbing off on me. Regardless, I cannot wait to see them in the airport in Nashvegas when I finally set foot on American soil :) 

No comments: