20.6.11

Moulins, Some Rouges

On a slow day between vacations, I got to spend the afternoon with some good friends in the nearby town of Moulins.  They'd gotten married nearly a year ago and had yet to receive their wedding china, but it had finally arrived in the store in Moulins, so we piled into the car to go pick it up.

We're still in France, right?
The china arrived safe and sound, and I felt the need to document this momentous day in their married lives.  Also, I just can't stop taking pictures. 
Moulins is known as the City with Two Cathedrals; this is one of them.  Little known fact: Coco Chanel started as a cabaret singer in Moulins. 
We had coffee at Le Grand Café, opulently decorated and pretty Baroque in appearance. 
Definitely not my personal style, but I can always appreciate a well-executed optical illusion!
After our café we went to the National Museum of Stage Costumes, which was mind-blowing. 
We "tried on costumes" (wink wink)
And I REALLY wanted to make this one my Facebook profile pic and forgot about it. 
All kinds of signs forbade me from taking pictures in the museum....
So you probably shouldn't ask where all these pictures actually came from. 
The museum is poised with a view of the city that showcases both cathedrals.  The red glass in the window just makes it cooler.
Driving back home we saw some interesting median sculptures...
and eventually we passed the chateau where my good friends got married!  I wish I could share some better pictures of the grounds and the buildings and their gorgeous wedding.  If you want to check out some more pictures, click here
We even saw some moulins on our day trip to Moulins :)



At the end of the day I remembered that my mom had sent me a package with all kinds of fun stickers in it, so we all chose one and posed with it.  Of course I forgot to tell my friends that they needed to duck pretty far down to get in the frame when I'm setting the camera for my own height :P

We had a fun, pretty last-minute adventure, on the most minimal of budgets.  Sometimes that's all you need :)

1 comment:

Nulle Part said...

Can I just tell you AGAIN how much I love your blog?? It feels like I am stepping into a time machine, albeit one that does not go back very far, but to a near-distant parallel universe to my life in Lyon and my assistant year in Vendôme. I'm looking forward to more retrospectives! (Including your take on one Lyon weekend I may have been too blitzed to remember :))