3.12.07

three days before the end of the semester

Fifteen minutes pass so fast
with your breath on my lips
and your heart pounding in my hand.
We lie on the damp ground staring
at where the stars should be
behind the canopy of leaves that traps our breath around us, 
presses us into each other. 
You whisper and I tangle my fingers
in your hair and listen;
there is nothing more than your voice
and the sky and the dreamcatcher
hanging from a branch high above us. 
I catch your breath on my tongue, kiss
that soft place on your neck one last time.
Your lips form "I love you" but the wind
steals the words and braids them into the branches I can't reach.
All I want is your voice in my ear, 
your hands in my hair, the wind
whistling through the space between our bodies
like the song I'll never get out of my head. 

No comments: