28.8.08

Waiting on the World to Change


It's so strange to think--in 6 days, I'm going to be in Paris! Today I got the itinerary for our Paris trip and it all looks so exciting :) It's wonderful, being able to recognize so many names of places and being able to envision the exteriors, the displays, the road names, the street grid, the lights, the patterns, the smells. I'm thrilled :) 
I got to talk to my sister in Costa Rica on the webcam today! She's having such a great time. This weekend they're going to the beach. She sounds like she's made a ton of amigos already, which, again, reminds me of Harlaxton and of all the fun times, late nights, new friends....I'm just really thrilled about France :)
This time last year I remember having a small meltdown about how unprepared I felt. I realize now, now that I'm feeling the exact same way, it wasn't a feeling of being ill-prepared at all--it was just the feeling of standing on the edge of what I recognize and looking into the fog of what I don't know. The scariest part is the fact that I'll be living in an unfamiliar land, surrounded by an (almost) unfamiliar language, but that's also the most exciting part. It's my impetus for being even more gregarious and outgoing than I already am (I swear, it really is possible :P) The unfamiliarity is what drives me to take every chance, go on every trip, visit every city, learn every idiom, try every side dish, jump on every opportunity that comes my way because, this time next year, I'll be back in Music City, missing France, and I want to miss it well. 

No comments: