11.5.09

Hola from Costa Rica!

I flew in yesterday and--after entirely too many hours in an airport-slash-airplane (also, please ask about the 50-something couple who engaged in a slap fight on my plane--go on, ask!)--I am HERE! Heredia is beautiful--it has that urban decay feel that I love so much (and lack so profoundly in the states).
My host mum is ridicucool (is it ok for me to make a portmanteau o those words? We're going to go with yes :) also, many congratulations to me as I JUST figured out how' to' use' the' apo'stro'phe!). She showed up to pick me up in a halter top, tight jeans, and covered in body glitter. My first thoughts? "I and this bedazzled Tica are going to be bestest estest friends." <--double quotes! Ballin' :)
We had our placement tests today (I placed into advanced, which came as a huge surprise) and then we had our first Latin dance lesson. These lessons are required, which rocks my world--all these alcoholic lacrosse guys, shaking their hips, nursing their hangovers to ultraloud latin music? Yes, please ;) Today we learned meringue, and tomorrow is salsa--I can never keep the moves straight, but it's nice to practice with people who know what they're doing, entirely unlike myself :)
Afterwards we toured Heredia and saw all the must-sees--the safe banks with no lines, the park, the clubs. In fact, one of the clubs we passed advertised Ladies' Night every Monday where Ladies drink absolutely free. Hey--I'M a lady! It's Monday! Take a wild guess where we're going tonight :)
We ate lunch at a little cafe called Fresias (I think) where I drank guanaba (doodooodoodoodoooo!) for the second time in my life. Rock my world, guanabana. Go on, rock it.
After lunch we started our classes--I'm in class with one other girl from my school, one professor who came with us, and the Costa Rican professor. It's small and intimate and crazy-intense, though we only have classes from 1:30-4:30 every day. YESSSSSSSS, no waking up before noon! Though we all know me, I'll be up at 7:30 every day, raring to go explore some uncharted quartier.
Not that there's anything wrong with that--it's just a symptom of my wanderlust :)

3 comments:

m said...

I always start singing that tune after saying "guanabana", too!

And I picked up my phone to call you 3x today but you are goooooooooone :(

Alyssa said...

ahhh, i love this. i remember the first lunch at fresas! AND LADIES NIGHT AT FOFO IS THE SHIT.

and and and..... try malibu in your guanababa. its simply delish.

i was in the advanced class too! is nuria your profesora?

Anonymous said...

Ladies night, hehe. Have fun Kali

-Fratus