12.5.09

What did I tell you--

I woke up, as predicted, at 7:22 after a ragingly thrilling Ladies' Night. We met up at the school, caught a cab (an adventure in itself) to Fofo, then reaped the benefits of four free vodka-y-jugo-de-naranja. Scooooooorrrrre.

I realized recently that I only brought, like, 4 pairs of underwear, so I've been freeballin--or, as my friend Malicious says, freecoochin', which is a revolting and oddly satisfying alternative--moer than usual. Okay, maybe not more than usual, but it feels different when it's out of necesity. TMI I'm certain.

Walked to school, finished my first days' homework of a 15 miunte oral presentation (my friends H and K said "That's what you get for being smart!" Is it too awful for me to admit that I actually enjoy the work?) and had some tea. Thank God! Costa Ricans like tea! I meant to pack my own, forgot, got sad, got to the school, realized they had some, then got happy. You'd think I was menopausal or something, all those emotions :l

Today's dance lesson was optional, but surprisingly enough, all of the guys showed up! I won't even offer excuses like "they're only there to see us girls shake our asses," I'm just impressed they were there, period. We learned salsa today, which rocked my world. If you want to see something hilarious and juvenile, ask to see my foot diagrams so I can remember which dance is which. Go on, ask me.

I ate lunch with Dr. B, a woman who shares my pechant for adventure. Advenchant! Penventure! We wanted to eat at Mamis, a Carribbean restaurant that everyone and their mother simply raves about. Obviously it really IS good, because it opens at 11 and when we got there at 11:04, it was packed. Literally, no tables free, at all. We ended up eating sandwiches at Cafe Flores which was fine, then trekked around Heredia like theer's no tomorrow. Apparently, the people here think there isn't--literally, the main difference between Americans and Latinos is our perspective: we see things in terms of the future, and they see everything through the lens of the past.

We have class every day from 1:30-5:30, which is tough because that is prime nap time in Kali Land! Maybe that's why they stock so much coffee and black tea...Today, though, I learned something interesting. Compared to America's 50%--or some other equally ridiculous percentage--divorce rate, Costa Rica boasts a 30% or lower rate. In fact, it gets lower every year. Why? This is a primarily Catholic country. If people want children, they get married. But more and more couples are deciding they don't want kids--in fact, the average number of children per Tico household is 1.2--so, they're not getting married. Literally, Professora V told us that it's extremely rare to see a wedding in Costa Rica. People have stopped getting married! One good thing about this is, thy've stopped getting divorced, too ;)

I noticed something awesome as I was walking back to my house today: my depth perception is improving! I walked out into the street as a car was coming, saw that it was in front of me and started walking so I could cut behind it, and my trajectory DIDN'T send me sprawling into the tail end of someone else's car. Improving every day, my friends--improving every day :)

No comments: